Wednesday, September 7, 2011

You have to start somewhere

Today was my first day of student teaching. It was quite the experience being in a school for a full day. I arrived at the school early to complete not just one, but two bulletin boards. Fitness is the unit they are starting on Friday, so that was the topic on one of the boards. The other bulletin board consisted of football and soccer pictures. The students will be in a football/soccer unit at the end of the month.
I also found out that in addition to teaching that I am in charge of the traffic circle at the school in the morning. My host teacher directs traffic as the students are being dropped off in the morning. It is not a fun job, but an important job to ensure that students are dropped off safely.
 
 
After traffic duty it was time for classes to begin. My host teachers went over proper classroom management with their individual classes, as well as the fire drill procedure. They each turned it into a game where they would have the students run around before simulating an actual fire alarm with their whistle. When the students heard the whistle they would run to the door in a single file line like they would for an actual fire drill.
 
 
Overall it was a good first day. I did not get to teach, but I know that it will only be a matter of time before I do start teaching. There are about 70 students per class so I must make sure that I am prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment